Kernel user communication mechanism

Hello Guys,

I want to implement a kernel-user communication mechanism in which kernel can send events to user space (both blocking and non-blocking). Blocking events would require response which the kernel will interpret. Also user-space can also send the events to the kernel and get the response.

Was having a look at the netlink sockets. What will be the behaviour for sending an event which is blocking on the response from user-space the queue is full. How this case will be handled.

Also fanotify makes use of fsnotify's notification mechanism to send events and get response from kernel. Is it possible to send event from user-space to kernel space in -case of fanotify.

I there any other way present which is better than these two above ways.

Any ideas to implement a new mechanism are also appreciated.

Regards,
Rohan Puri