Re: Learning Linux Kernel

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 5:21 AM, Alexandru Juncu <alex.juncu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Kaushal Shriyan
<kaushalshriyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been working on Linux OS for the last 10 years and it has been very
> exiting and challenging to learn new technologies based on Linux. I am
> basically a Sys Admin for Linux with bash programming and configuring and
> setting up Linux Server including network services like BIND DNS,Apache
> etc...
>
> Although i do not know C and ASM Language, I am very much eager to start
> learning Linux Kernel Code and contribute to linux kernel codebase sometimes
> down the line.
> Please guide/suggest me.
>
> Regards,

Hello!

I think people appreciate your enthusiasm. I do think that knowing C
programming is a prerequisite. So you need to start with that.
For the theory, if you want to start learning how the kernel works, I
recommend the book Linux Kernel Development [1] by Robert Love.
Another thing I would give you is this video [2] to know how to submit
your first patch.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Kernel-Development-Robert-Love/dp/0672329468/ref=pd_sim_b_3
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLBrBBImJt4

Hi

Just curious to know about total number of linux kernel developers in the world who contribute to linux kernel codebase. Any wiki or webpage which mentions about it?

Regards

Kaushal