Kernel Module from C program

Greetings,

I'm new to the world of kernel modules programming. I've read the Linux Kernel Module Programming Guide by Peter Jay Salzman,  among other documents, and I have the following question:

I'd like to know if it's possible to take a program developed in C (in this case OpenSIPs, which is a SIP Proxy Server) and turn it into a kernel module (I know "to turn it" is probably not the right _expression_, what I mean is if I could modify it somehow so that it can be loaded as a kernel module) ?

As far as I've understand, kernel modules are developed for drivers or to do some modifications to system calls, but I like to know if it's possible to do what I stated earlier.

Thanks,

Luis Morales.