Re: Customized kernel and nVidia binary drivers

On 14.10.2011 15:26, Cihangir Aktürk wrote:
Hi everybody,

I am building custom kernels using "make-kpkg" command - the debian way,
everything works great even my nVidia propriatery driver. And this nvidia
module confuses me so much.

When I build my kernel with standard "make", and install it as it is expected
there is no nvidia module in my /usr/lib/kernel-ver directory and not
surprisingly
simply copying this driver from older kernel to a new one doesn't work as well.
It's because version of the module must match kernel version. Nvidia ships binary module (already compiled) but also sources some kind of "kernel interface to binary module" which must be recompiled every time you build new kernel.

I wonder how can this nVidia binary driver still work if I compile my kernel
with "make-kpkg"?
What this utility does to make it happen
That should be helpful for you:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

--
Regards