Re: Heap memory is not re-claiming.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:36 PM, V.Ravikumar <ravikumar.vallabhu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Jeff Donner <jeffrey.donner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 1:26 AM, V.Ravikumar
<ravikumar.vallabhu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've a daemon process and I'm allocating heap memory for big character
> buffers using malloc/free.
> Each can take 5MB.
>
> Though I freed/deleted memory allocated for the buffers, the increased
> memory during the allocation time is not re-claiming back.This I observed
> using top command.

Yes, I think it's glibc - it may keep your memory, with the idea that
you'll request it again soon anyway.
   If this is the case then memory should not keep on increase albeit how long process may run. right?

Hi Ravi,

When you ask for a memory block, usually by using malloc(), you're asking the runtime C library whether a preallocated block is available. This block's size must at least equal the user request. If there is already a memory block available, malloc() will assign this block to the user and mark it as "used." Otherwise, malloc() must allocate more memory by extending the heap. All requested blocks go in an area called the heap.

Reference to an article by Mulayadi Santosa :-

http://linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2006/11/30/linux-out-of-memory.html

AWESOME ARTICLE SIR :)

Regards,
Rohan Puri