Re: Optimizing the performance of the Scheduler in the Kernel 3.0

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Edward Alvarez <edwardalvarezm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Greetings,

I want to optimize the performance of the scheduler in the Kernel 3.0 in order to increase the number of calls a Sip proxy server can handle.

I read about the scheduler in the Kernel 2.6 and was able to find the variables MIN_TIMESLICE, MAX_TIMESLICE, PRIO_BONUS_RATIO, MAX_SLEEP_AVG and STARVATION_LIMIT. If I tune this variables I can tweak the performance of the scheduler, but in the new kernel I cant find any documentation that allows to successfully modify the scheduler.

I would gladly appreciate any information related to the scheduler in the new kernel, or documentation about the new variables that are similar to the ones I mentioned.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Edward Alvarez.

There are present sysctl scheduler tunables in dir /proc/sys/kernel/sched_*

You can do the tuning according to your requirement.

But i think there is a better way to increase the calls to the sip server.

To increase the calls to sip server means to maximize the run-time of sip server process.

This can be done by increasing the nice value of that process, with the "renice"  command. Only root user can specify the negative values. I think this should do the job.

Regards,
Rohan Puri