Re: TCP_DELACK_MIN vs TCP_ATO_MIN

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Daniel Baluta <daniel.baluta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

RFC2582, Section 4.2 says:

"... an ACK SHOULD be generated for at least every second
full-sized segment, and MUST be generated within 500 ms
of the arrival of the first unacknowledged packet. ".

I guess that the delayed ACK timeout is computed in tcp_send_delayed_ack:

===
void tcp_send_delayed_ack(struct sock *sk)
{
       struct inet_connection_sock *icsk = inet_csk(sk);
       int ato = icsk->icsk_ack.ato;
       unsigned long timeout;

      /* .... */
       /* Stay within the limit we were given */
       timeout = jiffies + ato;
====

Can one explain what is the difference between TCP_DELACK_MIN and
TCP_ATO_MIN, specifically if the timeout (ato) is always in the interval
[TCP_DELACK_MIN, TCP_DELACK_MAX] ?

I want to make the delayed ack timeout configurable as some guys tried
here [1],
so for this reason I plan to make TCP_DELACK_MIN and TCP_DELACK_MAX
tunable via proc entries.

thanks,
Daniel.

[1] http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-netdev/2008/9/9/3245554

Hi Daniel,

TCP in linux makes use of two modes for acking the data received.

1. Quick Ack : - Used at the start of the TCP connection so that the congestion window can grow fastly.
2. Delayed Ack : - It moves to delayed ack mode, in which ack is sent for multiple packets.

TCP switches between the two modes depending on the congestion experienced.

In Quick Ack, Ack timeout interval (ato) is set to minimum i.e. TCP_ATO_MIN

while in Delayed Ack mode, TCP_DELACK_MIN is used for restarting/ resetting the timer.

Now the default value is of both the macros is same.

But if you want to make delayed ack timeout configurable, then I think you should give proc interface for TCP_DELACK_MIN.

Regards,
Rohan Puri