Re: Query about custom fedora build process

Some programs (like VIM) modify file in-place. Some programs (I think 'perl -pie' may do this) will read the file into memory, and when it's time to write the file back out, it deletes the original, and writes the new one. They made a note of this in the wiki article:
"Using vim on FC14, it treated the hard link as a hard link and thus the above technique failed. It was necessary to repeat the original copy used for the .orig directory for the .new directory. Note that this uses twice the space."

Perhaps there's a trick to vim to work around it, but I don't know of any.

My suggestion would be to hardlink the entire source tree, and then afterwards delete the destination hard links for the files you want to modify, and re-copy (normal copy) the original files again.

-Kai Meyer