Re: Need basics of booting process

On 7/10/2011 10:37 AM, Niamathullah sharief wrote:
Dear friends,

I want to know the basics linux booting process. I googled for this but i didn't find the detailed things anywhere. I want to know the boot process including the hardware work flow. Can anyone give me the detailed tutorial to learn about this.

First, when you power up the system the bios goes through a POST, which is power-on self test. This just checks that hardware is working, etc. Then it looks for a boot sektor, which must be 512 bytes long and end with a magic number, and loads the kernel. From there, you can look at the head.s assembly, and I think someone posted a tutorial here a while back--maybe they'll post that again.

Thank you
_______________________________________________ Kernelnewbies mailing list Kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

--

Take care,