Re: interview question how does application connects to device

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Bond <jamesbond.2k.g@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is an interview question.

I had written device driver for a char device so I know that code
structure looks like this

struct file_operations something {
 .owner=my_device_open;
 .read=my_device_read;
 .close=my_device_close;
 .write=my_device_write;

 }
When the device driver is active then in

/dev/mydevice
you can actually read and write into it. But what I was not clear is
how an application will read or write to this device. I know insmod
will insert the module to kernel,and register_chrdev(); will register
the driver in kernel but how will application program communicate with
this driver.

My answer was
In unix it simply opens the device node as a file and sends/receives
data and commands from it.

But he was expecting some thing more complex.

Hi,

Not in touch with low level stuff for some time but do check ioctl() and sysfs on wikipedia or man pages.

Take care.

--
Shahbaz Khan
R&D Engineer,