Re: inittab is not executing after my Linux box boots up

Hi

I have copied the generated rsa key and placed it in my nfs root filesystem. I find the problem still persists

Please see the last leg of the logs below

eth0: link up (100/Full)
VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem) on device 0:12.
Freeing init memory: 128K
Starting network...
ip: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
Starting dropbear sshd: OK

I feel the already generated key has been detected. And still the initab doesn't execute. Please advice

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Vladimir Murzin <murzin.v@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Prajosh Premdas
<premdas.prajosh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Dave and Mulyadi
> Can you tell me where to place the previously generated RSA key. I even
> suspected this but this line
> Starting dropbear sshd: generating rsa key... generating dsa key... OK
>
> and the OK pulled me off the track. One more thing can you tell me  what
> does the OK mean there...
> My mask is mask=255.0.0.0 so it is able to get the NFS server location
> I typed a wrong command after changing the commands i find no difference
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 11:22 PM, Dave Hylands <dhylands@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Projish,
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Prajosh Premdas
>> <premdas.prajosh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi
>> > Please find the entire boot sequence here
>> > RomBOOT
>> ...snip...
>> > TCP cubic registered
>> > NET: Registered protocol family 17
>> > rtc-at91sam9 at91_rtt.0: hctosys: unable to read the hardware clock
>> > IP-Config: Guessing netmask 255.0.0.0
>> > IP-Config: Complete:
>> >      device=eth0, addr=10.220.4.200, mask=255.0.0.0, gw=10.220.4.35,
>> >      host=10.220.4.200, domain=, nis-domain=(none),
>> >      bootserver=255.255.255.255, rootserver=10.0.0.1, rootpath=
>> > eth0: link up (100/Full)
>> > VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem) on device 0:12.
>>
>> So it looks like your root file system was mounted successfully.
>>
>> > Freeing init memory: 128K
>>
>> All message from this point onwards come from init.
>>
>> > Starting network...
>> > ip: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
>> > Starting dropbear sshd: generating rsa key... generating dsa key... OK
>>
>> And since sshd is starting, it's actually processing stuff from your
>> root file system.
>>
>> You may want to try disabling ssh. Generating the rsa key can take
>> several minutes, depending on how fast your target is. So it may look
>> like the system is hung, but it will actually continue to boot.
>>
>> You may want save away the generated RSA key and include it in your
>> generated image so that this step is faster. For a given filesystem,
>> it only happens the first time, and once the generated key is stored,
>> ssh will just use the previously generated key. But if you're
>> constantly rebuilding your filesystem without any generated keys then
>> the first time you boot the new filesystem you'lll gget a long delay.
>>
>> --
>> Dave Hylands
>> Shuswap, BC, Canada
>> http://www.davehylands.com
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Prajosh Premdas

Hi Prajosh,

I believe, that generating keys by sshd involve blocked operation on
/dev/random.
It's strict requirement to use /dev/random instead of /dev/urandom in such case.

Actually, it's well-known problem in embedded world to fill up entropy
pool, because of
lack random events into some solutions.

I've heard it's  possible to save and restore entropy pool, but it's
not safe, I think.
In my opinion, Dave's suggestion about saving keys into image is quite
suitable, as
soon as you aren't intend to distribute you solution on the market.

P.S. Sorry for my English.

--
Regards,

Prajosh Premdas