Errors in booting a new image built

Hi All,
   I am trying to setup linux development environment. I did the following steps to get my first work environment.
  1. Used my Laptop Dell Inspiron N5030 : (Pentium R Dual Core T4500)
  2. Downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 and installed with partition options given by Ubuntu. Now its a dual boot operating system.
  3. Installed Git and pulled the source code using instructions at http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html#download_first_time (git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
    )
  4. Now did make config ( let the default options take except for selecting processor type)
  5. Now I built the kernel using 'make -j8 bzImage
  6. Copied the image to /boot/newkernel
  7. Updated the /boot/grub/grub.cfg to take another menu entry , image pointing to /boot/newkernel.
  8. Removed initrd - which should be specific to distributions.

When I boot this image , I get an error saying can not open root device.( https://picasaweb.google.com/sadasiva.reddy/KernelError?authkey=Gv1sRgCOLo_oH4zvPpVA&feat=directlink)

Could any one please guide me how to setup this root file system or any thing else that I need to do to be able to boot this kernel that I build.

Appreciate your help in this regard.

I understand that my knowledge or initial groundwork is not a lot. Pardon my ignorance as I am a new starter to the Linux Kernel world.

Thanks,
SADA