Re: how to compile the 0.01 version of kernel

On 1/10/2011 4:09 AM, Berlin Brown wrote:
There is a compilable 0.01 version of linux out there.  Don't take the actual source.  You need a custom 0.01 kernel to work with the modern compiler tools out there.

If you do make a version, you might try creating a VMWare VM and putting it online.

This might be it.

http://draconux.free.fr/os_dev/linux0.01.html

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, KK wrote:

> Hello All,

> I was going through the linux kernel newbie articles in
> kernelnewbies.com and found it very interesting. I downloaded the
> tarballs for the 0.01 version of kernel from :
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/

 but ... why?  i can appreciate the historical entertainment value to
some extent, but nobody's going to hire you based on your familiarity
with the 0.01 version of the linux kernel.

 surely there are more interesting and potentially profitable ways to
spend your time that employers would care about.

rday

Robert P. J. Day                               Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
                       http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter:                                       http://twitter.com/rpjday
LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

Berlin Brown (berlin dot brown at gmail.com)
http://botnode.com
http://berlinbrowndev.blogspot.com/

Thanks to all of you for all your help.
Berlin, I'm downloading the source code for compilable 0.01 kenel that I can compile/run on my box. Thanks for everything. And once everything works out I'll put VMware/Virtualbox image on the web so that others like me can benefit from that. Thanks for the nice suggestion.

Thanks,
KK