Re: kernel module

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:25 AM, jhoni maux <jhoni.maux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Good evening All,,..
>

> Could you mind telling me what's kernel module actually ???
>
> I am very happy if you give me a good source of understanding of the kernel
> module ??
> like chm, pdf files,,.. :D
>

> thank's a lot
>

> dedy

In userspace, are you familiar with DLLs (windows) or .SOs (linux).

A kernel module is the kernel equivalent of those.

ie. Loaded in ram if and only if explicitly needed.

For a distro like openSUSE / ubuntu / fedora, this is very important.
By using a small core portion of the kernel and modules for all the
potential kernel functions that are hardware dependent, they are able
to build in a very wide variety of hardware support while at the same
time keeping their ram requirements low.

Put another way, assume you come up with a new piece of kernel
functionality that cannot be compiled into a module.  ie. It must be
compiled in.

Now assume you want to convince a distro to include it in their
distribution.  You have to convince them:

1) It is good and well supported code and will get future support
2) It is worth having in RAM for every one of their users.

Both of those are big obstacles.  But if you can build your
functionality as a module, then the RAM argument goes away in that
only the users that actually use your module pay a RAM hit.

Greg