Re: mirroring /dev somewhere else

On 12.11.2010 13:34, Christophe Aeschlimann wrote:
Hi,

I'm working on a custom arm embedded system and I would like to
implement a "live" system update. The system is running from NAND flash
and has two mtd partitions one to store the kernel and another one to
store the filesystem (jffs2/mtd). To be able to gracefully update the
file-system from a running state I would like to:

- kill all the running processes
- remount file system as read only
- create a small rootfs in /var/tmp/update/ (in ram) with the required
tools (mainly erase/write flash and reboot)
- copy the updated filesystem (fs.jffs2) to /var/tmp/update/
- chroot in my small rootfs and execute
o flash_eraseall /dev/mtdX
o nandwrite -p /dev/mtdX fs.jffs2
o reboot

The problem I have is with recreating the /dev inside my mini rootfs.

I'm using udev and I don't know how to instruct udev to mirror the
content of /dev in /var/tmp/update/dev/.

Or maybe I can just create the devices (mtdX) I need using mknod ?
Would that work (I'll be trying) ?

Maybe I'll answer myself here but would just copying the devices
from /dev/ to /var/tmp/update/dev/ work ?

(I'll keep you informed if that worked)

Thanks !

Best regards,

--