Re: Making /proc/kallsyms readable only by root

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 1:52 AM, John Mahoney <jmahoney@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Bruce Blinn <bruce.blinn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> if permissions are 700 or 400 who cares you need root to do
>>> either and at that point if its 400 can't you just chmod 700
>>> /dev/kallsyms.  or am I missing something here?

I looked at the patch  and I misunderstood.  It was changing the
permissions from 444 to 400.  I got thrown off because the initial
post of this thread stated this was related to the /dev/mem debate btw
dev mem is not 444, but crw-r----- 1 root kmem, therefore normal user
has 0 permissions which is a little different.
.
>> For files in the /proc file system, it is not that simple since they need to
>> have a function to handle the write request.

The files are actually all char devices not proc, but I still get your point.

Changing 444 to 400 makes a lot more sense to me than the /dev/mem debate.

Thanks,
John