Re: looking for corrections/enhancements/omissions for LKD3

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010, Himanshu Aggarwal wrote:

> I could not find a description about the state TASK_KILLABLE as
> well. May be this can be added in chapter related to process
> management.

  ok.  and for further credit, when people find stuff like this and
they have the time, dig into it further and see *why* that feature
isn't mentioned in LKD3.

  it's entirely possible that it was too obscure to merit inclusion so
it was a *deliberate* omission.  on the other hand, maybe it really
*is* new and should be documented.  and if it's new, is there a git
commit that represents its addition to the source?  and might there
have been other features that came with it that should be documented
at the same time?  etc, etc.  so if you have the time and the
curiosity, don't just note that something isn't mentioned in LKD3 --
take a minute or two to ask *why* and see if you can't document it
further.  and if you document it suitably, i'll add it to my page:

  http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Updates_to_LKD3

and credit you with authorship (give or take a bit of editing on my
part).

rday

p.s.  there are a number of macros/routines that aren't mentioned that
should be described in the MM chapter that relate to allocating space
and zeroing it out simultaneously.  first, in <linux/gfh.h>, there's
the list of action modifiers, where __GFP_ZERO isn't mentioned in the
book.

  based on that action modifier, there are zero-filled equivalents to
some of the standard allocation routines:

  kmalloc -> kzalloc
  vmalloc -> vzalloc

and so on.  i'll be documenting that in a bit, there's quite a bit
more that can be discussed there.

                        http://crashcourse.ca