Re: how does kernel detects presence of a particular device

On 11/03/2010 03:46 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> As far as I understand once the probe function(Not too sure) detects
> or kernel detects then the driver would be looked up
> and control would be handed over to driver.
> If this is correct then how does probe works? Or how a particular
> device's presence on PCI bus is detected.
The PCI system is a special hardware system that replaced ISA. The
interesting thing in a PCI system is that hardware registers itself in
the PCI configuration register. You only need to read that to know what
harware is connected.

Perhaps that is the how part you are looking for?

Here is the info on the PCI config register:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_configuration_space

Wouter