Re: /dev/mem

John,

> I do not plan to argue this further in advance.

:-)   It wasn't in my intention to argue anything. Just knowledge exchange.

> In a microkernel drivers could have their own global namespace and not have
>direct access to memory.

As long as the processor doesn't provide any specific mechanism to protect the
memory access from itself - I mean here "kernel-mode" - namespace or not the
code executing in kernel mode will do whatever it wants with the memory. Even
if the driver has not direct access to memory some other code has to have it.
The driver will request memory modification  via a message. If the request is
malicious the executing part has no way to know it. Or if it does it means the
memory management is in kernel mode - and this is no longer a microkernel ...

In my opinion the solution is not to isolate the memory access from the
executing code but to provide some protection mechanism in H/W. The MMU
does half this work today. It remains to invent the other half.

I thought you were aware of such mechanism when I asked you to elaborate...

Anyhow, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Stephan.