Re: /dev/mem

Well I belong to category of people who think anti rootkit as userful thing to prevent any root kit to perform its deterministic action. It is okay if a rootkit can still play with your kernel data structure but it should not make any sense out of data and at the most, panic the system. Looks like I am not the alone who belong to this category, a lot of work has been done in this area.

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/HookSafe-Protects-Kernel-from-Rootkits

Dave I agree with your point that it is more important to prevent malicious code to get root access, this is a preventive approach where you have to rely on whole system as a whole including the user space application a user can install.

Anti-rootkit or any kernel based security mechanism which can divert the determinism of a rootkit to prevent it from doing a deterministic harm which could be as critical as sending your important file data out of page cache pages to some network socket, falls into a category of post handling once a rootkits makes its way into the system.

Since you are banking upon a preventive approach which considers the security of the system as a whole, not just the kenel, so you may not cosider rootkits as security risk as it can not happen in your world.

Personally I have no disregard for the preventive approach that you are suggesting, It is much wiser thing to make a more secure system, but none of the systems in existence today seems to be conforming to 100% secure system by just preventive measures. When I say this, I am considering that _nobody is logged into the system with root access_.

Wouter:

> besides, some people think a rotten (should I say fermented) grape is
> better than a fresh one anyways.

That was good one :)

Thanks,
Rajat

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Wouter Simons <lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/28/2010 04:55 PM, Dave Hylands wrote:
> Hi Rajat,
>
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 2:41 AM, Rajat Sharma <fs.rajat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> This is non-sense. It is a feature. I need it when working on my ARM
>>> based system and trying to debug some hardware that needs writing to
>>> specific memory locations.
>>
>> If something is assiting you in debug, that does not make it fall into a
>> feature. And saying that it is a feature, it does not claim that it is not
>> vulnerable to attacks. If you really want to use this for debugging, you may
>> do it on a development system which you can not risk for security attacks.
>> For a production system or server, you may not want to use it for any
>> debugging and it may be lying there without any purpose for its security
>> vulnerability. If it is a configurable options, its good to compile the
>> kernel for your debugging purpose.
>>
>> Look at the patch below, at least there are people who assume that it is
>> vulnerability:
>>
>> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/2/11/809424
>>
>> It is almost like saying that apple can't get rotten because you like the
>> taste.
>
> I guess the ability to run any code at all must be a security hole then...
>
> What this all boils down to, is what's your definition of a security
> hole? This particular thing might fit into some weird class of
> security holes (things to protect the system from the root user). I'm
> much more interested in preventing people from being root in the first
> place (much easier to fix in an OS like linux).

Me too,

besides, some people think a rotten (should I say fermented) grape is
better than a fresh one anyways.

Wouter