Re: /dev/mem

Hi Rajat,

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Rajat Sharma <fs.rajat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Be it for any reason, it is a security loop whole. Even more dangerous is
> you have access to device file and its not very hard to erase blocks from
> disk through device file eg.

Personally, I don't consider it a security loophole. The security
loophole was how you got root access, not what you did with it,

> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 bs=32k count=32k
>
> it can erase 1G disk space.
>
> As far as I know, Windows OS don't allow you to write to the disk directly
> from user space.

It sure does - you just have to open the appropriate device name.
There are device names for each physical disk, as well as device names
for each logical drive letter.

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada