Re: Learning harware ...

HI Abu,

> What I want is some directions.
> I want to learn hardware intimately.

If you mean H/W design this is not the good place to ask.

If you mean programming H/W (aka firmware) then I would
start by building some H/W basic knowledge and I would
want to practically implement and play/exercise the functionality
I study. Get a basic SBC (Single Board Computer) and start
programming and debugging each functional block.

I posted a link to such affordable device. Get it and start
playing with. You can implement a timer and see how it works
in less than ten instructions. The good thing with the board I
point to is you get an symbolic debugger too. This means you are
able to execute your code in "step-by-step" mode and see at each
step how the CPU registers are modified and how the H/W reacts
at your programming. In my opinion this is the best way to learn
firmware.

>I  am interested in MIPS and Intel (i386) platforms. What would be a good way to
>start ?

Well, both platforms (architectures) are complex and difficult
to learn. I would start with something simpler.

x86 represents an enormous volume of information and complexity.
Focus on one of its block/functions and start to play with. You can use
your PC to play with. Start by getting the technical doc from Intel. Scan
the net for examples.

Hope this helps,
Stephan.