Re: Linux free memory

Hi Zahari...

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 12:38, Zahari Doychev <zaxari@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> me the actual  free memory. I am having embedded system without swap and I
> have conditions when Buffers go to zero. The system seems to work without
> problem. How bad is it if there is no memory for buffers? Can I rely on
> memory in Cached and Buffers without experiencing any problems? I should get
> performance problems then...

I don't really understand the main point of your question, but I guess
it was the above sentences.

OK, let's say it is indeed the point...then, IMHO and this is my
personal speculation, it could be a perfomance problem when you access
the same file over and over again. But, I think, it is about the same
when you do direct I/O or XIP (execute in place).

But, also, AFAIK, kernel should reserve up to certain percentage of
memory for this kind of needs. So I doubt it could down to zero....
but again...it's just my raw analysis. Feel free to accept it or
not...

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa