Learning / Experimenting with micro controllers.

Hi,

I know it is not the target of this discussion list but people reading it may
be, also interested in
learning or experimenting at the CPU level. It is difficult if not impossible to
follow from end to
end an interrupt on a Linux box. Or a UART, or a timer.

Here you can get for $4.30 a full embedded development chain:

https://estore.ti.com/MSP-EXP430G2-MSP430-LaunchPad-Value-Line-Development-kit-P2031.aspx

Follow the link for a full explanation.

You will get a 8/16 bits CPU with 200 bytes of RAM and 2K of flash. No way to
port Linux on :o)

But you will be able to "see" in a H/W debugger how CPU works. You will
understand peripherals,

timers and interrupts. And you will learn to code in Assembler !

If you have read Linus book you know he started Linux by writing a small
scheduler with two tasks.
One was printing "A", the other "B". With this platform you can repeat this
experiment.You can write

your own mini kernel doing this experiment. After you will start to look with
different eyes to the

Linux Kernel.

For all those looking to start a __real__ project with Linux_drivers - this can
be the way in. (first step)

I apologize to those who find this post irrelevant here.

Note:

1. TI offers two, free but size_limited IDEs. CCS is way too complex to start.
Go with IAR which is

simple and convenient. It has the bad habit to hide some definitions, but you'll
find the way to see
the light...

2. Any PC running a Winows OS (not_my_fault) can run the platform. NOTE: You can
use the
Rowley-Associates IDE on Linux - but it is not free! (http://www.rowley.co.uk/).

3. To start download the CPU User Guide and the whole set of code examples from
TI site.
(http://focus.ti.com/mcu/docs/mcuprodcodeexamples.tsp?sectionId=96&tabId=1468)

4. This is really a __very__ simple/basic platform well suited for learning. The
next step would be
to make your teeth with USB and ETH by using the next level in the uC family.
You will have to
use (buy) a different platform.

Have fun,
Stephan.