How does the bash delivery control of terminal back and forth

Hi,

    Suppose that we have a session in which we have a process group
containing the bash only, and several other process groups. It is well
known that the bash can give the control of terminal to any of these
process groups by calling tcsetpgrp() function. Besides these, there
are two questions about controlling terminal:

1. When is the session created to which the bash belong? When does the
bash get the controlling terminal?
2. When starting a job, if the bash set the job foreground, how the
bash get back the controlling terminal after the job has finished?