Hardware-specific files in the kernel source tree

Hi,

I have just begun working on a powerpc-based embedded system, and find the location of several hardware-specific files a bit odd.

For instance a lot of gpio-drivers are placed in drivers/gpio (which is logical). But then there is also a gpio driver located in arch/powerpc/sysdev/ (gpio_mpc8xxx.c).  (gpio is only one of the drivers found in this folder). There are also board setup files in here that would for me have been logical to put in arch/powerpc/platform.

Does anyone of you know what the real purpose of the sysdev folder is?

--

Maria