RE: spin locks in uniprocessor system

On uniprocessor system even if you have a task scheduled, the interrupt
can still come and should be handled by that processor. So let's say you
get a timer interrupt - the schedule() will be called on return and if
there is any higher priority task waiting, your previous task can get
scheduled out.
This is referred to as pseudo concurrency (Please refer Robert Love).

> If a nonpreemptive uniprocessor system ever went into a spin on a
> lock, it would spin forever; no other thread would ever be able to
> obtain the CPU to release the lock. For this reason, spinlock
> operations on uniprocessor systems without pre-emption enabled are
> optimized to do nothing, with the exception of the ones that change
> the IRQ masking status.
> ( I don't get the meaning of last sentence "with the exception of
> ......" Please can somebody explain )

I am not sure about this statement, though. Would appreciate if someone
can provide some pointers.

--
Thanks,
Nilesh