Re: difference between read permission and executing permission

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 00:28, Parmenides <mobile.parmenides@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   For a specified directory, we can go through it when the kernel
> parsing path, though we can not read it. Actually, parsing path also
> need read the directory file. So, how does the kernel distinguish
> between these two permission?

I find your question a bit confusing, sorry for that. But let me
guess, you mean, for example directory "blah" has permission
-wx--x--x. And you wonder, why it is readable (getting information
about it, inode etc) but we are unable to list the content?

Simple then, have you consider the permission of the directory which
contains "blah" directory? suppose it's "super_blah" and it has
rwxr-x-r-x, then of course we can read the information of "blah"
itself but unable to list the content of "blah" due to its own
permission.

Does it help?

--
regards,