Re: Question on MMU

On 9/11/2010 8:04 AM, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
Hi Sri...

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 09:19, Sri Ram Vemulpali
<sri.ram.gmu06@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hi all,
       I have a question on MMU. Memory management is used to segregate the
memory between process and make sure no process steps on each other. Also,
it provides abstraction to whole available memory in a conceptual way called
virtual address.
Now my question is, we can do all this in software, I mean simulate and map
the virtual address to physical address not taking hardware support. Now why
is the hardware unit MMU is given with processor. Is there any special
reason.

It sounds like you're comparing the situation between full software
virtualization without any help (Xen dom0 in non VT/SVM enabled
processor) VS KVM in VT/SVM enabled processor.

Got the picture? You could draw the advantage? One word: speed....

Speed definitely . And it reduces the complexity of the code. Easier
on us developers. :-)

Thanks.