Re: Fwd: some questions about kernel debugging

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 00:55, Venkatram Tummala <venkatram867@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Removing -O flag in the kernel makefile doesn't work. the kernel refuses to
> boot if the optimization flag is disabled for kernel compilation. Till now,
> nobody has been able to answer this correctly in this mailing list.
> Specifically, how do we disable all compiler optimizations so that GDB
> doesn't go nuts while debugging the kernel. Please let us know if anybody
> knows a solution to the problem here.

then make it lesser than current setting, e.g -O1 instead of -O2, -O2
instead of -O3. You might also try -O0. Also, watch out for things
like loop unrolling, inlining threshold control etc.

As far as I remember, -O0 & -O1 didn't work for me. I think O2 worked but things were not radically different when GDB was attached when compared to O3

Venkatram Tummala

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa