Re: debugging a process

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 6:03 PM, mohit verma <mohit89mlnc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:44 PM, mohit verma <mohit89mlnc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> hi,
>> i am debugging the same firefox program. it is showing 33 threads running
>> in my system .i switch to each  thread and type the command "bt" to see the
>> stack status of the thread .
>> someone please guide me what the "bt" command shows is a stack attached to
>> the perticular process or to the whole task (like firefox).
>> and one  more thing : i get different memory addresses by "bt" for a
>> thread (not  continuous as supposed to be for a stack). what does they mean?
>> i am attaching  the screenshot for this.
>

> reply ,guys !!!!
> is this the worst question ever asked? :)

By default gdb shows the backtrace only for the current thread ([1]).

The addresses shown in your screenshot are meaningless, because
the program wasn't compiled with debugging symbols enabled.
Also, the addresses are not continuous because they represent a
function's trace.

thanks,
Daniel.

[1] http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/Backtrace.html