Re: debugging a process

Hi Tapas,

For that you probably need to compile Firefox or whatever other application you need to analyze with debug support (-g flag) and optimization disabled (-O0 most likely).

If you want to go further down then you will also need libraries you compiled with debug support or at leas the debugging symbols for the library.

Most Linux distros usually provide a -dgb package that contains the symbols for a that library.
Eg: Ubuntu has a libc6-dbg packet with the debugging symbols for libc.

//Paul

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 4:01 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Paul-Ovidiu Dascalu
<paul.dascalu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Paul
> /usr/bin/firefox is not an executable file to begin with.
Yes this thing I got in my search also it is not an executable.

> Also you can you 'strace' on a program to see the the system calls and
> signal a process uses.
Yes I have tried this.I mean I have seen its output.
I want to understand related things.
As what more things are there in it to understand.