Re: Debugging the scheduler

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 07:07, Vimal <j.vimal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're making some modifications to the scheduler and the kernel
> (2.6.35) just crashes without any error whatsoever.  The crash is such
> that the kernel responds to pings for a while; but the mouse doesn't
> work, screen doesn't refresh and we're not able to ssh as well.

Could we see the code somewhere? it's hard to judge just by reading
the "raw facts" you wrote here.

But IMO, as long you just deal with the time slice calculation
algorithm, it shouldn't introduce trouble...but once you touch other
things like for example you put tasks into multi queue, changing the
way a task is kicked out of the running queue etc, it might be the
cause.

NB: you need full system emulator I guess, like Qemu...put your kernel
there...build it as debuggable kernel..and hook gdb into Qemu's gdb
stub. It is not 100% identical to real machine behaviour...but at
least you don't need to kick your reset button everytime it hangs...

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant