Re: Making a SCHED_FIFO process monopolize the processor

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 08:16:28AM +0200, Michael Blizek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 17:56 Sat 28 Aug     , Pablo Antonio wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 06:35:03PM +0200, Michael Blizek wrote:
> > > Hi!

> > > Yes, it should be. However hardware interrupts will still arrive.
> >
> > I don't care about that. All I want is *no other processes* to run ever
> > again, but kernel code in my process' context is alright.
>
> This does not only mean "kernel code in my process' context". It also means
> timer interrupt, receiving network packets and so.

Doesn't that happen using my process' memory space? I mean, handling the
timer doesn't imply that other processes should be run, right?

> > > This is weird. Are you sure that you have put the process in the SCHED_FIFO
> > > queue and assigned a static priority > 0 via sched_setscheduler? If you start
> > > top and look in the PR column you should see "RT".
> >
> > Here's something I've been using. The first command sets the runtime value
> > to the period value, so real-time process don't leave space for other
> > processes to run. The others create process with SCHED_FIFO policy.
> >
> > $ cat /proc/sys/kernel/sched_rt_period_us | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_rt_runtime_us
> > $ time sudo chrt -f 99 bash -c 'seq 10000000 > /dev/null'
> >
> > In a two-core CPU I used:
> > $ time sudo chrt -f 99 bash -c 'seq 10000000 > /dev/null' & time sudo chrt -f 99 bash -c 'seq 10000000 > /dev/null'
> >
> > For some reason, for priority numbers under 99 the PR column doesn't say RT.
> > For example, for priority 98 it says -99. Those commands sometimes kind of
> > hang the other processes but sometimes they don't.
>
> This is interesing. On my machine (2.6.31.6) the PR column does say RT. If I
> start both processes (dual core machine) with sched_rt_runtime_us set, the
> machine is stuck to the point where not even the mouse is moving. Maybe there
> is an option. Priority -99 look suspicious...
>
> BTW: How many CPUs in /proc/cpuinfo and which version of top do you have?

Thanks, Michael. I found the problem. If you want to achieve what you
just experienced you have to:

1. Set sched_rt_runtime_us to -1 or to the value in sched_rt_period_us
2. VERY important (was my problem, specifically): If you have group
   scheduling configured, set /cgroup/cpu.rt_runtime_us to -1 (in case
   you mount the cgroup filesystem on /cgroup

Once I set that last value, problem was solved, and I was able to make my
processes stuck the others using this:
$ time sudo taskset -c 0 chrt -v -f 1 bash -c 'seq 10000000 > /dev/null'& time sudo taskset -c 1 chrt -v -f 1 bash -c 'seq 10000000 > /dev/null'

(this was on the machine with two cores)

Thanks to everyone,

--
Pablo Antonio (AKA crazy2k)
http://www.pablo-a.com.ar/