Re: Making a SCHED_FIFO process monopolize the processor

Dear Pablo....

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 12:01, Pablo Antonio <pabloa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>    I know this is in the border line with off-topic, since my question
> is not exactly about how to develop for the kernel but about how the
> kernel works. Please forgive me if my question is not appropriate.

Your question IMO is still in kernel zone....although...well, you
sprang into "theoritical UNIX zone"...thus not really a kernel
question. But enough the blah blah blah, and the reason blah blah,
let's cut the blah blah blah and get to the business :D

> I want to know if it's possible to create a real-time process with
> SCHED_FIFO policy that starts running and never lets any other process
> run again.

The real question is: what's your understanding on the term "real time
OS"? from there, probably we can help on how to achieve your goal...

But to cut it short, even with -rt kernel tree, Linux kernel is not
real time OS, at least not the hard real time one like QNX etc.

Even though SCHED_FIFO is indeed a process whose priority is made such
way that it will "override" others, still there are certain aspect
that might prevent it to be called as "real time".

For example, assume this application wanna receive keyboard input. Are
you sure this keyboard input will be received *right away* by your
application? or will it go the usual routine, thus the latency is
unpredictable?

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa