Re: address space of kernel thread

OK, let's see if I can make it real straight :D

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 17:28, Parmenides <mobile.parmenides@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's said that kernel thread is running in kernel address space only.

See, it's "kernel" thread, meaning it's a thread that operates in
kernel mode. Thus, no wonder it just "wander" in kernel land only...
in this case, the fancy words are: "kernel address space"

But this doesn;t mean it could not communicate with user mode, if necessary...

> I wonder what's the meaning of "running in kernel address space only".
> When kernel thread running, which page table is used? Is there any
> special characteristics of this page table?

it "borrows" latest normal process's (e.g non kernel thread) memory
address space. Why is it possible? simple, because kernel address
space is the same for every process...kernel address space is mapped
equally for all...

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa