Re: anyone built a new kernel on RHEL 6.0 beta with LVM?

Hi Rob...

This time, seems like we're connected through Inception-alike dream
machine. Could you please spin your totem first? :)

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 19:43, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> but:
>
>  * "make install" blows up, complaining about multiple missing
>    modules, not sure what that's all about

I experience same thing too in CentOS 5.5 when I tried to boot freshly
"make defconfig" 2.6.35 kernel.

AFAIK, making some kernel components as modules did fix the complains
during mkinitrd (such as ahci, ohci and so on).

This is something that might provide you hint: I turn back to
2.6.28...and then do "make allmodconfig". mkinitrd as usual....edit
grub.conf and kazaaammmm it sucessfully boot.

Perhaps I could do the same thing by carefully use --builtin when
executing mkinitrd, but I was too lazy at that time to check deeper.

> also, i tried to use the RHEL-supplied config file as a starting point
> with "make oldconfig", which let me install but fails to boot,
> complaining about not finding the root device.

Exactly the same message I saw too when booting 2.6.35. AFAIK, I check
the initrd image and to the best I can did, I saw no reference to
"/dev/root" in the scripts in initrd...thus...it might be something in
the kernel itself...(I am not sure if Linux begins to execute sysinit
script in rc directory at this stage..)

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa