Re: kernel page caching questions

Syed Khader wrote:
I'm developing a kernel module (sorry under nda till product release so
no code available) which is currently allocating ~6MB of buffers (3 x
2MB buffers) with pci_alloc_consistent for dma usage, it will be less
later on but for now the hardware requires this.

Is swap enabled? Which platform is this? We have similar requirements
as you have and we use O_DIRECT. I am not sure what would be the
problem with it.

Yeah, sorry again, I should have mentioned that yes swap is enabled, it wasn't initially but after I'd created a swap partition, enabled it and made sure that it was being used I saw no difference with this problem. The platform is x86, it's a AMD Geode LX800 chip to be precise wth 256MB of RAM.

When I was researching O_DIRECT I came across several discussions/articles that were similar to this: http://kerneltrap.org/node/7563 as they all seemed to imply that using O_DIRECT is a Bad Idea(tm) I thought I'd look at the alternatives.

Philip Downer.