Re: Debug the Kernel

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Harsh Kumar <harshkumar1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to Kernel Programming and would like to know whats the best way to
> start understanding the code structure.
> Is debugging the kernel possible by putting breakpoints?
> Can someone of you please help me start.
>
> Regards,
> Harsh Kumar

HI Harsh

http://code.google.com/p/kernel-janitors/wiki/TODO

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

>>>and learn the more that you can about C you will need it, a really good book is

C Programming Language (2nd Edition) from Kernigan and Ritchie

I think that a good way to start to undestand the Kernel code is to
make your own Kernel modules check this

The Linux Kernel Module Programming Guide

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/index.html

and try to make your own Kernel Module
try to make a char driver and to make a procfs program
than and your procfs module to your OS and used it latter

this is a really good web page in order to see how to use you char
driver to turn on a led in your parallel port for example ( this is a
really good device driver example ) : )

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/drivers_linux?page=0%2C0

I hope it helps you It helps me

Sincerely yours