Re: simple example of ready-to-load miscdevice module on ubuntu 10.04?

Hi Robert,

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 6:25 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>  (i'm sure i can eventually track this down, but maybe someone can
> save me the time.)
...snip...
>  fair enough.  now, however, i'd like to find (again, on my ubuntu
> 10.04 system) an example driver that uses dynamic minor number
> allocation and that's *not* built into the kernel so i can use that as
> a demo of what happens when one loads such a driver.  and, so far, i
> haven't found an example like that yet -- every driver that does that
> is, on this system, configured to be built into the kernel.
>
>  anyone know of such an example?  i briefly grep'ped thru drivers/
> for the macro MISC_DYNAMIC_MINOR but every example i saw was, on this
> system, configured to be built into the kernel.

I'm just in the process of upgrading to 10.04, so I don't have a
definitive answer, but you could try the following

cd /lib/modules/2.6.whatever
grep -r misc_register *

That seems to come up with quite a few potential candidates.

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada