Re: Introduction to kernel threads

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Kristian Evensen
<kristian.evensen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Creating kernel threads is quite easy. Please have a look at this article,
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/65178/
>
> Also you can refer this simple code to create a kernel thread. Hope this
> helps.
> Sorry for poor error handling and coding style. :)
>
> Thank you very much for a quick and good reply. However, I guess I should
> have been more precise in my initial email. I have gotten very simple
> threads running, but am having difficulties finding information about more
> specific things. For example synchronization, why the kernel has to be
> locked when a new thread is initialized and what is the preferred way of
> stopping threads. I see some people use signals, while other use the
> kthread_stop.
>
> -Kristian

I will try to answer your questions,

1) Synchronization : Please refer to "Unreliable Guide To Locking" here,

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/kernel-locking/index.html

2) I dont think you need to lock the kernel when a new thread is
initialized with kthread_create(). May be with these new APIs its no
longer needed. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

3) kthread_stop() works by sending a signal to the thread. I guess,
kernel provides this API just to avoid explicit signal sending.

-Vinit