Re: Communication device interrupts to user space via real time signals

Hi List

I am having doubt whether UIO supports asynchronous notification or not. The Documentaion says u have to block on read system call to get the event.

I think the interrupt implementation in user space needs asynchronous events. right?

In case of RT signals, I am not sure whether the latency will be bearable or not. And by default queuing capacity of RT signals is 1024. You may have to override that, in ur case, depending upon ur hardware.

Thanks

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 01:24:48PM +0530, Devesh Sharma wrote:
> Hello Greg, Thanks for your reply, currently our development is using
> some older 2.6 version,
> where I think the support for UIO is not present. Therefore, I am
> looking this as an alternative solution.

Then backport the UIO core to your kernel and write a UIO driver.  That
way your driver can be accepted into the main kernel tree and you will
not end up writing code that will be obsolete from the very beginning :)

good luck,

greg k-h