Re: pdflush deprecated by per-bdi writeout

>> Thanks for sharing! Peter, I think spindle is used just as another
>> word for slow device which I guess could be any other type of slow
>> storage medium like iSCSI or loop over NFS.
>
> In some degree, I agree with that.
>
> However, specificly to block device like hard disk, where things could
> made difference i.e doing read back and forth would slow things down
> instead of keep moving the disk head forward, I think what Jens Axboe
> mean is specific to hard disk with disk head (pleaeCMIIW if I use
> wrong term)

Well I still argue that it has to do with a slow device unless I've
terribly gone wrong somewhere. What you're referring is taken care of
by the I/O Scheduler. But ofcourse the requests take longer but its
not because the HDD's head is moving back and forth (the head moves in
the same direction like an elevator, the I/O scheduler makes sure
about that (Just imagine how slow the system would otherwise be!), but
because the head is like an elevator and you have to wait. - Criticism
welcomed about that.

Thanks,
-Joel