Re: Hardware question

2009/10/11 andi <andi.platschek@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Ozan Türkyılmaz wrote:
>>
>> hey all,
>>
>> it's not really kernel reletad but, kernel peaple should be trasted
>> with hardware questions.
>>
>> my question is this: today a lot of CPUs (x36 based ones) come with
>> visualization extensions and
>>  a lot of  visualization software supports this extensions. my
>> question is that this visualization extensions
>> can really make difference of performance of guest OS.
>>
>> ps: i got AMD 64 cpu with AMD-V extensions.
>>

> I think, what you are talking about is virtualization, not visualization?
>
> And, yes these extensions really speed up virtualization, the reason for
> this is, that a guest OS that
> is running in Ring3 (unprivileged mode) is not allowed to do the priviledged

well....i am not sure of all scenario...but i can describe what i know....

Say VMWare.   In normal OS only ring 0 and 3 are used.   So VMware
used ring 1 to emulate the guest's higher privilege mode, and ring 3
for the application.   Same design with Xen, Lguest too.   But if u
are running in HVM mode, a higher privilege than ring 0 (called ring
-1) is used for the hypervisor (or host) OS, and ring 0 for the guest
OS.   but QEMU may be different....not sure....possibly the same
design with UML too....which is emulating everything in ring 3???? not
sure of details....

> operations. If you do not have
> a hardware support for virtualization, these priviledged operations have to
> be emulated in software, which
> is really slow.
>
> regards,
> andi