Re: Changing Kernel 3g / 1g memory split

On 08 Oct 2009, at 9:08 AM, Rajat Jain wrote:

Hi,

3) And finally, in order to complete this change and to ensure my
applications are awrae of it and are doing the needful to restrict
themselves in only 2G, do I also need to make changes in
the glibc or
the gcc?

No, you don't need changes to glibc or gcc.

I think he will need to. In the ELF user space executables in most of
the cases, the address at which each synbol (function / data) will go is generally fixed at compile time. So I think mosty of the applications in user space will need a recomile with a compiler that is aware of the new
2G/2G split.

Interesting. I've previously used 2G/2G split (some years ago, before 64b was prevalent) quite a bit and never needed to recompile existing binaries and libraries on the distro, and never had issues. Perhaps the default addresses are quite low (well below 2G)? Also, how does ASLR ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Address_space_layout_randomization ) play into this?