Re: retain mounted initrd after booting?

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Luciano Rocha wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 04:39:48AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   i'm still looking for how to keep the initrd mounted after
> > booting on my x86_64 system.  can't you do that anymore?  it's
> > been a while since i tried that, and i thought the kernel parm
> > "retain_initrd" would do it, and leave it mounted at /initrd.
> > apparently not.  am i misremembering?  is there a way?  thanks.
>
> You're not misremembering, but you're also not considering that
> current distributions don't boot the system using initrd, only
> initramfs. The boot process then differs significantly.

  i don't agree.  while all recent kernels will have an embedded
initramfs (the topic of my very next kernel newbie column, in fact),
unless you specifically populate that internal initramfs, it's going
to be virtually empty and you'll still end up using the external
initrd image supplied by grub.  which means that you should still have
the ability to retain the initrd filesystem if you want.

  but i'll take a look at the Doc/ file to see what's changed.

rday