Re: ext3 data=journal?

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Venkatesh Srinivas <me@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ext3 has a filesystem option, 'data=journal', described in
> Documentation/filesystems/ext3.txt as 'All data are committed into the

data=ordered meaning:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/1/25/493

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/8/24/187

http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext3_data_mode_tradeoffs

http://lwn.net/Articles/322823/

In the email below, Theodore has tried very hard to word his
explanation clear enough to be understood by everyone, and the links
that follows is his official write-up:

http://markmail.org/message/t773wvje5iaitp4v?q=ext3+filesystem+order+theodore&page=1&refer=6lxrrxbg6yzlhrsn

http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext3_Data%3DOrdered_vs_Data%3DWriteback_mode

I hope he has accomplished his job :-).

> journal prior to being written into the main file system.'
>
> On LWN (in comments) and on a few other sites, I see people say that
> this option is 'broken'.
>
> What ordering constraints does it enforce beyond data=ordered? What do
> the commenters mean when they say it is 'broken'?
>
> Thanks,
> -- vs
>
> --

Regards,