mmap / page fault question

Dear list members,

I am poking around trying to write my first non-trivial kernel module.
It is a character driver (though there is no real device).

It gets a memory buffer via vmalloc() and then shares this buffer with
user program (which has to issue mmap to start using the buffer)

I have a question about handling page faults.

I see that there is something called vm_operations_struct in linux/mm.h .

1) It has a function pointer and the comments seem to indicate that I
need to provide a function which will be called when there is a page
fault. Can someone please tell me if I have to worry about page
faults. I do not have any real device , i am just using normal
vmalloc'ed memory as my "mapped memory buffer"
2) What is the use of the open/close and other operations inside that
struct? I mean - for char drivers, there are open/close entry points
that correspond to the user space open/close calls. But the open/close
operations inside the vm_area_struct - to what user space operation do
they correspond?

Many Thanks!