Locking and interrupt handlers

Hi List,

I am aware of the fact that in interrupt context one should not use mutexes/semaphore
and should stick to spinlocks.

I am developing a module which exposes interfaces which could be called from any/all
contexts. And I manipulate complex data structures in my functions. Being on safer side
I should stick to spinlocks. But in most of the cases it would not be needed, meaning my
functions would get called mostly from process contexts, so spinlocks sounds wasteful
since my critical sections are long and painful.

Also, the data which I am updating would be accessed from read/write methods as well.
What do you think should be done in this case?

-Leo.