Re: system calls that require disk access

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:56 AM, krushnaal pai<krisonearth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> can sumone plz give me a complete list of the system calls(according to
> linux kernel 2.6.18 or above) that makes disk access at some point of time.
>
> For eg. read sys call makes a disk access when it doesnt find the page in
> page cache.

Almost any syscall can make a disk access - if it performs memory
allocation, this can block on a pageout.
Any syscall that access user memory can make a disk access on a page
fault (unless you're mlockall'd, but then see above).
There are other syscalls that make disk accesses for other reasons, eg
ioctl, read/write, etc.

I don't know if there's a full list anywhere; this is something of an
implementation detail. If you're asking because you're trying to avoid
the latency of a disk hit, you might want to ask on the linux realtime
development list - see linux-rt-users at
http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Mailinglists